Philip Taylor received his formative dance training at the London Contemporary Dance School, under the artistic direction of Robert Cohan. Mr Cohen asked Philip to join the London Contemporary Dance Theatre (also under his artistic direction of Mr Cohen) where he worked with choreographers: Richard Alston, Robert North, Siobhan Davies and others.
Philip joined the Nederlands Dans Theater’s junior company – NDT2 – under the artistic direction of Arlette van Boven. Two years later, Jiří Kylián asked him to join the main company – NDT 1 – where Philip danced and created works from Kylián, Hans Van Manen, Mats Ek, William Forsythe, Nacho Duato, Christopher Bruce and others.
It was during this time that Philip created his first ballet, Haunted Passages for NDT2. Philip went on to created several pieces for NDT2 and NDT1.
As an emerging choreographer, Philip has created work for The Cullberg Ballett, Intro Dans , Phoenix Dance Theater and others. He created and performed the solo performance “Flying Solo” produced by the Korzo Theatre, Den Haag. Philip’s later choreographic works included the creation of works for the Gauthier Dance Company Stuttgart, the companies of Mannheim, Geising all in Germany, and others. He also created the full evening work “Blind Date” for the SommerBlut Arts Festival, Köln.
As a freelance artist, he performed as a guest artist with NDT I and Danceworks Rotterdam.
Philip has been the Artistic Director of several companies including:
- Ballet of the City Theatre Augsburg, Germany;
- Ballett Theatre Munich, housed at the Staat Gärtnerplatz Theatre, Munich, where Philip created over fifty works for the company, as well as touring both nationally and Internationally.
Philip has worked as a guest lecturer, master teacher, guest choreographer at academies through out Europe, USA and Australia including:
- Artez Arnhem, Netherlands
- the Royal Conservatory Den Haag, Netherlands
- Modern School Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Northern School of Contemporary Dance, England
- Iwanson International Munich, Germany
- Mannheim/Heidelberg Conservatory, Germany
Philip is a rehearsal director for Kylián Productions and currently Head of Dance at the Artez Academy of Modern Arts.